Sunday, July 13, 2008

The kiss or the handshake?

As you may or may not remember, my husband MBM works with people from all over the world. Mexico, Argentina, Columbia, Switzerland, France, Germany, South Africa, etc.

Today, we had about 15 of his co-workers over. Several Americans (though not all from Kentucky) and several from Switzerland and France.

Here's the question: do you shake hands or do the cheek-to-cheek kiss? I didn't do so well this time. But I think I'm going to need to know this for future work-related events.

If I have NEVER met the person before, what do I do? At the beginning? And then at the end?

3 comments:

foxtwin said...

Don't forget the nose-to-nose smurf kiss, I *never* know when to do that and it's never the right time. Hm.

Julie George said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie George said...

Ok, i tried to post a comment and screwed it up. I never do the kiss-kiss thing. I just can't do it. Not my style. In work situations I ALWAYS shake hands. In social situations I say hello and hold my hands together in a way that says "nice to meet you, don't think about coming any closer" but totally in a nice way. I will show you sometime :)