Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Learning 2.0: #16, Web-Based Applications

Today I looked a UCD Library 2 Go blog and saw how they are trying to tell their students about Web 2.0 tools that might be helpful to them. It was interesting to see how another institution approaches some of the same tools that we have been learning about. It was also great to learn about some other tools that I had not heard about.

As teaching faculty continue to add problem-based and active learning to their classes, whether the class meets physically and virtually, I see great potential for many of these tools to help students complete group work. Tools like Google Documents, with new presentation features, I think especially hold promise as they will allow students to work collaboratively without the limits of meeting times, time zones, etc.

I am currently on the planning committee for a regional conference and have been amazed by variety of costly web tools my colleagues from different institutions are using to make collaborative work possible. I know internally we have something as well. Thanks to the tools we've been learning about here at my library, I know that there are free web tools out there that will complete just about all of these tasks too!

No comments: