Friday, July 6, 2007

Privacy and the Web

Today our library met and had our first brown bag session to talk about our first week's experiences and thoughts about Web 2.0. It started a really interesting conversation about the Web and privacy.

There's no question that a lot about each of us is already out there. Admit it -- we all do a web search on our own name sometimes and it's a little creepy how much is out there. Newsletters and alumni magazines on the web, work web sites, etc. So, we're already out there. But then, through social networking sites, Flickr, and even this very blog, we're putting more about ourselves and those we hold dear out there. How much do we share? What do we share? Who do we share with? Are there separate identities and pages for work and personal life or do you just blend them together?

Thankfully, most of these Web 2.0 tools allow us to place privacy protections appropriate for our individual comfort levels. I'm thinking about taking a look at the personal Flickr page, in fact. There are some photos up there that are fine for the whole world to see. But I'm thinking some should actually be private. And, honestly, some probably aren't mine to share in the first place, as they are photos of friends and their children.

Anyway, just some rambling thoughts. I'm not quite sure what I think about all this just yet. But I do know we can't just ignore it. Even if you don't blog, have a Flickr page, or any of those things, stuff about you is STILL out there. And I think it's up to each of each to be proactive and make sure that information is not being used incorrectly rather than putting our heads in the sand and ignoring it.

1 comment:

Laura said...

This is a concern of mine, though my concern comes nowhere near that of my mother--who won't even post a comment (however innocuous, like "i think so, too) on my blog because she doesn't like the idea of someone 'out there' reading her comment.
I guess my philosophy is, if I'll talk about it at work or with my friends, I'll post it on my blog. It's not like that many people read my blog! (at last count, just 3)
I think it boils down to common sense--don't post anything incriminating or provocative that might draw unwanted attention.
I particularly like your point concerning pictures of people besides oneself--it's good manners to keep those private, unless you have their permission. I never thought about it before.