Thursday, July 26, 2007

Learning 2.0: RSS and Feedreaders Rock

I discovered RSS and feedreaders maybe a year ago, I think. I started out with a Bloglines account and have recently been experimenting with Google Reader. I love my feedreader. In my personal life, I have several friends and family members who have blogs and Flickr pages, so I was always checking their sites for new stuff. Professionally, I think a big part of my job is to stay "on top of" what other librarians are talking about and what other libraries are doing. I read all of the professional literature, but I quickly discovered that Blogs were, honestly, an almost better place to go for some of this. But to check every site! Then I started using a feedreader and it was like getting to eat cake for the first time on your first birthday. Whoa! Now I can go to one site and quickly see in bold who has new content. I can quickly read a text-only version of each new entry but can easily go to the actual blog if I want to. I can easily see who is referencing other blogs and add other feeds that way. And, I can easily spot the repetition, which, sadly, has been happening a lot lately. (Boy, I used the word easily a lot there....)

No comments: